Monday, May 25, 2015

The Bragging Rights

People like to brag. They like to justify their lives and their life choices. So, they brag.
It is not just a competition between Homemakers and professionals, Men or women, Rich or poor, Bold or scared, Happy or sad. People like to brag. It is not just these days. It has been happening since the beginning of times. 





In ancient times in societies where women were not allowed to work at all in public, still competed with each other - 
"I have 7 kids", 
"I have 4 kids and all are male, while you have only 2 male kids", 
"My husband has 4 wives but I am his favorite", 
"I am fair in complexion", 
"I got so much gold and so much in property when I got married", 
"My 60 year old husband paid so much money to marry me as his 5th wife when I was 12 itself. you had to pay for your man."
"I married my husband because my dad told me to, I am such a good daughter"
"I ran away to get married to the man of my dream, nobody tells me how to live my life."

My dad and a bunch of his friends had a party - 
"I had a heart thing done twice now"
"My heart thing was done in UK not in India"
"I had a heart thing and appendix removed"
"All of my teeth have been removed in Australia, I have American dentures."
There was a young doctor in the party, he came along to drop off his dad, and just stayed in the party. Since he did not have anything to complain about, he was party pooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Passive Aggressive Misogyny

After I first came to America 20 years ago, for the first time in my life, I experienced being treated like a human being with a brain. I a...